Login (unique) problems with terminal emulations.

John C. Burant johnb at lakesys.lakesys.com
Thu Dec 28 15:43:24 AEST 1989

Okay, since talk here is involving start-ups, and I have a problem slightly
related to .profiles (and .logins), I'll get my feet wet in this group.

I'm using a SCO UNIX/386, csh (heck, it doesn't work with ksh either), and
am having trouble setting up my terminal emulation correctly.  Everything
here has been tested with ksh and csh, so please don't direct me to try the
same with the other shell.

If, when I login, I accidentally type the wrong terminal emulation to use
(ex. mistype: vt199 instead of vt100), the system won't find it in termcap
and will say unknown and all's good.  But if I try to set it again to
a terminal emulation with EVERYTHING from the manual pages of tset, termcap,
etc. (exhaustive search of them), nothing will actually get the system
to work (i.e., can't run things that require a good emul), and even if
I do a csh .login or a . .profile, the system won't set it correctly, even
going trough the whole login procedeure a second time (exececuting those
.profile or .login files).  Now, it will act as if it did set (the system
will even SAY IT DID!), but the TERMCAP variable is blank, as well as
the TERM variable.

Hmph..  I've talked to the local unix guru (well...) and he's had the exact
same problem and it doesn't work.
I know UNIX and terms don't mix (polar and nonpolar?) very well, but when
it works from login and not from executing the .login or .profile file,
something is screwed up.

Thank ye.
-John
John C. Burant | johnb at lakesys.lakesys.com
Glendale, Wisc | johnb at lakesys.UUCP
(414) 228-7915 | uunet!marque!lakesys!johnb