AT&T 630 terminal - software ??

Chang fangli at ihlpl.ATT.COM
Thu Jan 19 03:26:24 AEST 1989

In article <1800005 at spdyne> root at spdyne.UUCP writes:

>     And just think, We are paying about $2,400 for an AST 286/10 With
>1 Meg of Ram, EGA, 1 Serial & 1 Par. W/ Multi-Sync monitor... They make
>fine terminals....  I see no reason to "go for it" at all..  For 500 bucks
>more I can get a Amber monitor?  (Yes, I KNOW that this is ONLY a terminal
>and I am talking about getting a real computer for use as a 'smart terminal',
>but then, why not?  Unless you are doing I/O at 19,200 And doing large block
>transfers  (Graphic pages using >20K or so per page), I see little reason
>to buy terminals at all anymore...

It is probably because you see too little ... B-)

Use a PC or a terminal all depend on what kind of work environment
you are in.  For those who do large scale development and integration
PC is just as good as a 'dump terminal', of course, compare to what
630 can do.  Not long ago, I spend a lot of time monitoring program
running at one host and also at the same time editing several patches I
added into the environment that the program is running, and reference
my sources and headers at the second host to create the right patches.
I do not know any PC can provide me the capability of multiple
window on multiple host at the same time.

>	-Chert Pellett
>	 root at spdyne

Fangli Chang

(I can live with a PC, but the life at work will be much harder)