Should I switch to VMS for software development?

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Sat Jan 7 03:22:46 AEST 1989

In article <901 at hdr.UUCP> eric at hdr.UUCP (Eric J. Johnson) writes:

>Help!  The new boss has decided that we no longer need our 3B15 running
>UNIX System V for software development, but can get along instead with
>a VAX 11/730 running VMS.  :-(
>If anyone has put together a list/report comparing UNIX and VMS for software
>development, or has their own insights, I would greatly appreciate hearing
>from you!  As you might guess, I am rather fond of UNIX and would like to
>keep it around.

The best folution is to fire your boss, but that might be a bit of a problem:-)

I have no idea why your boss wants this move from the 3B15 to a 730.
In any case I think the performance difference should be at least a
factor of 2 (but probably more), meaning that the software developers
will spend twice as much time waiting for compiles... I think your
products may become expensive!

I can't imagine why people want to move to a 730 these days. It is becoming
more and more difficult to find someone who wants a 750 (for free) these
days...

If money is an issue, your boss should know that depending on the periferals
you can get a 386-box with Unix or Xenix for between $5000 and $10000, that
will outperform the 730 by a factor of 10 at least.

Paul.