Should I switch to VMS for software development?

Bruce Becker bdb at becker.UUCP
Sun Jan 8 18:33:03 AEST 1989

In article <901 at hdr.UUCP> eric at hdr.UUCP (Eric J. Johnson) writes:
+-------------
|Help!  The new boss has decided that we no longer need our 3B15 running
|UNIX System V for software development, but can get along instead with
|a VAX 11/730 running VMS.  :-(
|
|Our software development duties including the building of language products
|(using yacc/lex, etc.) and communications interfaces, and the porting thereof
|to a number of target operating systems (lots of flavors of Unix, VMS, PC-DOS,
|OS-1100, etc.)  UNIX for us has been an excellent platform for us in this
|type of work.
|
|If anyone has put together a list/report comparing UNIX and VMS for software
|development, or has their own insights, I would greatly appreciate hearing
|from you!  As you might guess, I am rather fond of UNIX and would like to
|keep it around.
+-------------

	Your new boss is brain-damaged. I won't suggest any list of
	Unix/VMS comparisons. I'll instead suggest you replace your
	boss...

+-------------
|Eric J. Johnson,  Amperif Corporation.  UUCP: eric at hdr.UUCP
|Perhaps, once upon a time, some Devilish hacker planted a bomb deep in the
|human brain such that it would only trigger upon a certain thought passing
|through the mind...  Perhaps this explains spontaneous human combu*****

Good luck,
--
   _  _/\	Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
   \`o O|	Internet: bdb at becker.UUCP, bruce at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
    \(")/	BitNet:   BECKER at HUMBER.BITNET
---mm-U-mm---	"The OSF is suffering from Penix envy" - Rocky Raccoon