Richard Stallman

David C Lawrence tale at pawl.rpi.edu
Sun Jun 11 02:52:49 AEST 1989

In <a6KY02jo337K01 at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> vohra at uts.amdahl.com (KC) writes:
> [Questions about Richard Stallman's presence on "the net" and his job.]

Mr Stallman most certainly is on "the net", if you mean the Internet.
He does not have time to read USENET, however, which is why he hasn't
contributed anything to all the recent talk of GNU in comp.unix.wizards.
He can be reached at rms at ai.mit.edu if you would like to talk to him
yourself.  He earns his living by computer consultation part of the
year and lives off of that revenue and personal gifts the rest of the
year while he works on GNU software.  They talk about him as some
object of debate because many consider him extremist, and extremists
are debatable.

> BTW, just to carry this ridiculous trivia to its extreme, I pronounce
> GNU "guhnoo" and hope that others do too, because "nyoo" sounds too
> much like "new".  No flame wars on this, please.  Just wonder if
> others do too.

GNU is meant to have the G pronounced according to Richard.  Matthew
Weiner's news reader for Emacs, Gnews, is also supposed to have the G
pronounced according to Matthew.  GNUS, another reader by Masanobu
Umerin, is _not_ meant to have the G pronounced according to Masanobu.
I rather dislike the difference which Masanobu has elected, but it is
his code ...

> KC, not Pavan.

Something I have been wondering for a while -- is KC a different
person from Pavan who is just using Pavan's account or is KC what
Pavan prefers to be called?  (Please reply by mail, KC.)

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale at pawl.rpi.edu" "tale at itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale at rpitsmts.bitnet"))
  "I realize the Internet isn't the whole world, but it is the center of it."