Cron - First Saturday of the month

kpc kpc00 at JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com
Sat Aug 11 07:49:09 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug10.063819.5253 at iwarp.intel.com>
merlyn at iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:

   So, they really mucked up when they OR-ed in that day-of-week
   field.

   Sigh.  Sorry.  I'll crawl under my rock now.  Cron's only for the
   heavyweights, anyway.

Because it's job security through obscurity :-)?  Your posting was
good.  One might hope that HLL boolean expressions were at least
considered in the design of cron.  (I hope that this offends nobody.
In particular, I hope that the designer of cron is not reading this or
is not offended -- it really is a wonderful tool, but why was
APL-minus-minus chosen as the time description language?  :-))

For UNIX historians: Was an HLL expression syntax ever considered?
(Or was the original machine thought to be too slow for it?)

Also, now that the OR is in there, which of merlyn's possibilities was
correct?  It makes one wonder what things, if any, are not possible in
cron without putting something in the command to be executed.
--
Neither representing any company nor, necessarily, myself.