Do I really need to BREAK to change baud rates?

Michael Squires mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Thu Dec 20 08:47:13 AEST 1990

In article <158 at mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:

>->Is there a way to convince the tty2A driver to automagically change baud
>->rates on Xenix 2.3.2?

Buy a different modem.  I've used the ARK/Paradyne 24K, USR HST or Dual
Standard, and Telebits with the comm port locked and the modem set to
do speed changes.  This leads to much increased work for the sysadmin but
less work for people who don't know how to send BREAKs (or what a BREAK is,
for that matter).  The main problem of this approach (aside from the
additional cost, as modems that do this reliably tend to be more expensive)
is that the line speed seen by software is wrong - it's always the highest
possible.  When the port is locked at 38.4K and the login is at 300 this
can lead to substantial errors...
--

Mike Squires (mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408