Do I really need to BREAK to change baud rates?

Russ Nelson nelson at sun.soe.clarkson.edu
Tue Dec 25 18:34:00 AEST 1990

In article <158 at mnopltd.UUCP> neal at mnopltd.UUCP writes:

   ->Is there a way to convince the tty2A driver to automagically
   ->change baud rates on Xenix 2.3.2?  My boss just found out that
   ->you have to send a break, and he's not happy about it.  Is there
   ->some configuration option I haven't found, or is there an
   ->alternative tty driver?

   Sheesh, yer boss better develop some flexibility.  He's gonna have
   a cow when he has to deal with awk....

The problem is that I get random users calling into the BBS, and it's not
practical to tell them that they have to press break, nor can I suggest
that they get a 2400 baud modem.  My boss is on my case about it because
*he* tried it, and he couldn't get in.  His attitude is that if *he*
can't get in, how's J. Random User (who knows as much about the system
as he does) going to get in?

Another part of the problem is that we switched from a MS-DOG BBS to a Xenix
BBS, and now it won't auto-switch baud rates.  C'mon, Unix fans, you're not
going to tell me that Unix loses out over MS-LOSS, are you?

--
--russ (nelson at clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  FAX 315-268-7600
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson