followup to xenix 2.3.2 mystery crashes

Nick Pemberton nick at aimed.UUCP
Thu Feb 21 02:10:45 AEST 1991

I had a number of replies to the xenix crashing problem, thank you
all. Several great suggestions. With a problem like this you never
really know what caused it, however, I think the following excerpt
is/was probably closest:

-----

It looks like you are missing an interrupt.  The disk subsystem is
patiently waiting for the kernel to respond, which it never will.

You can switch multiscreens because they have spl7() interlocking,
and the disk driver does not (typically spl6() or lower).  Your
processes will hang as soon as they need disk, that is to say immediately
upon the kernel (trying to) start them up (read into RAM).

You might want to check the seating of your disk controller.  After
2.5 years, it may have vibrated just enough to make the contacts
marginal.  I would also go for a heavy-duty cleaning of both the
card connector and the motherboard slot.
------

This makes good sense, and indeed the machine has been up continuously
since I reset the boards and cleaned the machine out.

Again, thanks to all that responded.

Nick
--
Nick Pemberton  		 uucp: !{lsuc, uunet!mnetor}!aimed!nick
AIM, Inc			  bus: (416) 429-1085