SCO ODT TCP/IP Setup Problem

IT Manager jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Fri May 31 02:59:50 AEST 1991

In article <12337 at scolex.sco.COM>, wul at sco.COM (Wu Liu) writes:

> Your problem is that TCP on anomaly wasn't started by init.  Your
> inetd process can't have an luid set, or else telnet/rlogin breaks
> with this error message.  The only way to get a process to not have
> an luid is if you start it during boot (i.e. have init fork it off).

Let me expand on this a little.  What Wu is telling you (and I discovered
this myself), is that if you kill "inetd" and restart it while the
system is running, the "inetd" process will inherit your "login ID".  This
causes programs which interface with "login" (e.g. rlogind and telnetd)
to break.

The solution:

1)	reboot the ODT machine.  This will cause inetd to be started
	during "rc" execution, so it will not have a "login ID".

2)	When changing inetd.conf on the fly, use inetd's "signal" option
	to signal the currently running process that a new config file
	is present.

Good luck.
James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651