xnx155b munges uucp system names

Russ Kepler russ at bbx.basis.com
Wed May 8 00:36:01 AEST 1991

In article <16679 at scorn.sco.COM> paulz at sco.COM (W. Paul Zola) writes:

>In article <1320 at bbx.basis.com> russ at bbx.basis.com (Russ Kepler) writes:
>}[my tale of woe with xnx155 deleted]
>
>[feature vs. bug response deleted]
>
>What did you have to do besides putting MYNAME=bbx in your Permissions
>file?  (That should have taken care of it.)

It wasn't what I did, or what SCO did; it's what we didn't do.  The
xnx155 release docs said to install on a SCO > 2.3.2, and mine booted
with 2.3.3

Unfortunately for both of us, there's a way to get to 2.3.3 without
getting all of the nifty uucp changes in update R (xnx137) - and
that's by installing VP/ix.  VP/ix will take you from 2.3.0 to 2.3.3
without all of the fuss and bother of updating your utilities and
kernel and stuff.  Even more unfortunately, xnx155 doesn't check the
current level of the /etc/perms/{whatever}, allowing idiots like
myself to thoroughly mung their systems.

Anyway, once this was recognized, I applied xnx137, xnx155 and things
appear to be back to normal.  You *never* want a uux that doesn't
truncate in combination with a uucico that does.  This leaves
directories full of stuff hanging around in /usr/spool/uucp, and a
frustrated uucico, pissed off folks trying to get uucp traffic in/out,
and a pissed system admin wondering just why he bothers to apply an
update.

Some fun, huh gang?

--
Russ Kepler -  Basis Int'l     SNAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109
UUCP: bbx.basis.com!russ                                    PHONE: 505-345-5232