Elm and XENIX

Jack F. Vogel jack at turnkey.TCC.COM
Mon Apr 18 08:56:07 AEST 1988

In article <18 at stanton.TCC.COM> donegan at stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) writes:
>In article <181 at ists>, mike at ists (Mike Clarkson) writes:
>> In article <13 at stanton.TCC.COM>, donegan at stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) writes:
 [deleted text...]
>> > 2) If a user is in elm in some functions and gets disconnected the session
>> >    remains running - SIGHUP appears to have been defused.
>
>In one of it's source modules elm 1.7 traps signal SIGHUP, SCO Professional
>and SCO FOXPLUS also have this 'feature'. I expect it has to do with some
>misguided sense of file integrity.

For all of those interested the problem here is in the elm 1.7 source file
called syscall.c. It only happens in certain circumstances because the SIGHUP
signal is only ignored while in a function called sys_call(). The comments
in the call indicate that the signal is ignored for sendmail purposes so I
should expect that simply commenting out the line :

			signal(SIGHUP,SIG_IGN);

should take care of the problem. However, I have not had time to look over the
code in any detail, so cannot vouch for all the ramifications of doing this,
nor have I been able to test it yet.

					Good luck all,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA