tty error

Steven P. Donegan donegan at stanton.TCC.COM
Wed Apr 6 13:16:38 AEST 1988

In article <160 at turnkey.TCC.COM>, jack at turnkey.TCC.COM (TCC Software Developer) writes:
In article <884 at udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> mabrey at vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Dennis W Mabrey) writes:

>        The company I work for has an AT compatable running
>        SCO XENIX.   We sometimes get the message on our main console
>        that says:
>
>       init:/dev/ttyx05: getty keeps dying. There may be a problem
I too have had getty die, one thing I've noted is that a terminal connected
as a non-modem (such as a 'm' gettydef code in /etc/ttys) can have serious
problems if the device/terminal is powered off while physically connected to
the PC's serial port. My 'fix' to this gettydeath has been simply powering
off the terminal, doing an /etc/haltsys, powering off the PC, waiting the
required 30 seconds for the power supply to bleed off and then re-starting
the terminal, PC, XENIX etc. This cycle always works for me. Seems that the
8250 or 16450 chip gets lost in space somewhere and XENIX's getty doesn't
know or try a full reset when it dies...sigh
If you had a REAL computer (like a cray, doesn't everyone need one at home?)
this WOULDN'T HAPPEN! :-)

donegan at stanton

--
Steven P. Donegan