Xenix reliability (Was: Re: Bell Tech 386 SysVr3)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.UUCP
Mon Aug 15 23:40:55 AEST 1988

In article ... woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) writes about how
HP systems are more reliable than UNIX:

Some guy at rpp386 said:
> >thirty one days looks like reliable to me.

> Not to me.  Besides, how is that system used?  ...
> It didn't do a lot of database stuff,
> it didn't use IPC intensly, it didn't do high-speed communications...

Well, I dare say that the HP systems that you're comparing UNIX to are
doing a heavy-duty job mix of accounting and word-processing software:
the sorts of things that you're denigrating rpp386 for.
--
Peter da Silva, Ferranti International Controls Corporation, sugar!ficc!peter.
"You made a TIME MACHINE out of a VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE?"