Bell Tech 386 SysVr3 (really a put-down of Xenix)

The Beach Bum jfh at rpp386.UUCP
Fri Aug 26 10:49:08 AEST 1988

In article <936 at cerebus.UUCP> ronc at cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
>It could be that you don't see a lot of traffic on problems with Xenix
>because a lot of people struggling with Xenix don't have access to
>Usenet because they can't get the gol-durned uucp to work.  When you're
>effectively cut off from the rest of humanity, your voice is small and
>thin indeed.

this system didn't get the "fixed" uucp until june or july this year.
prior to that i only chatted with about 200 or so different systems.  yes,
my voice was small and thin. ;-)

>As for support, we called SCO today with a trivial question about
>their uucp, and they scheduled an answer for next Tuesday.  The
>question was, how do you send a string in your chat script with
>a space in it?  [ and then explains why it is impossible ... ]

that's right.  without the "fixed" uucp you can't send a space in a
chat script.  the new method (version 2 uucp (?)) is foo\sbar to
send 'foo bar'.

i find the net to be much more useful for information.  sco is great,
i have to give them that much credit, but there aren't anywheres near
as many sco employees as net users ;-)
--
John F. Haugh II (jfh at rpp386.UUCP)                           HASA, "S" Division

    "If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong."
                -- Norm Schryer