/etc/inittab Problems with SCO XENIX-286

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.UUCP
Tue Aug 16 15:51:45 AEST 1988

In article <12997 at mimsy.UUCP> meyer at mimsy.UUCP (John R. Meyer) writes:
>Hello Netlanders --
>
>	I am trying to get the /usr/bin/sysadmsh shell going in multiscreen
>/dev/tty05 using /etc/inittab.  I have the line
>
>	05::respawn:/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/sysadmsh
>
>in the /etc/inittab file but the standard
>
>	login:
>
>message is displayed on tty05.  Can someone tell me what I am missing?

a real system v init.  the inittab file is pretty much ignored by xenix.
sco is still using the old version 7 ttys file.  the inittab file exists
only to make some people slightly more happy than they were without it.

the only part of inittab which is used is the action field.  if the
action field is "respawn", you get a new getty.  if the action field
is "off", you don't.

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with