Xenix/386 and 386 clones

Bill Kennedy bill at carpet.WLK.COM
Fri Aug 26 03:08:17 AEST 1988

In article <486 at yunccn.UUCP> landolt at yunccn.UUCP (J. Paul Landolt) writes:
[ ... ]
>	From what a friend tells me, Xenix 386 will only run on the
>Compaq and the PS/2-80, since SCO developed custom versions of Xenix
>to run on these machines.

There is definitely a PS/2 version, perhaps one for Compaq, I don't know.
I'm quite sure that your friend is at least partially mistaken.  I run
Xenix 386 on a clone (not this machine).

>	My question is:  is this true?  Are there 386 Clones that will
>run 386 Xenix (and what are they)

I should guess that anything based on the Micronics motherboard.  That's
the one I use and it's effortless.  It's a plain vanilla collection of
AT cards and the Micronics motherboard, 2Mb memory daughterboard.  I
also have a Computone AT-8 intelligent serial card in it.  No muss no fuss.
I would guess/bet that SCO Xenix 386 will work on many others too, I just
have not personally tried any.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill