new groups for iX86 unix (was: Bell Tech 386 SysVr3)

Rick Richardson rick at pcrat.UUCP
Fri Aug 19 12:27:06 AEST 1988

In article <55 at volition.dec.com> vixie at decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
>On this basis, I think that two newsgroups,
>	comp.unix.sysv.i286   and
>	comp.unix.sysv.i386
>be reading it.  There would be no cause for cross-posting.  Both groups
>should be moderated.  The old groups,
>	comp.unix.xenix       and
>	comp.unix.microport
>should be destroyed in favor of these new groups.
>I am still waiting for someone to give any reason -- even a flimsy reason --
>why this separation is not a good idea.

The separation is a good idea.  The sysv is not needed since the merge
is toward one base UNIX flavor.  I doubt there will ever be an Intel BSD
port, and who would want to refragment the world just as we finally get
some peace?

Moderation? Don't drag that up.  Let's get the groups.  If someone
volunteers to moderate later, well, then we can start the to
moderate or not wars again.

--
		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.

(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 389-8963 (voice, days)
uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp at uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)