SCO CGI question.

Brian Chapman chapman at sco.COM
Tue Aug 16 05:03:41 AEST 1988

<  ag at elgar.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
< [ __Garbage on screen with VP/ix and CGI__ ]
< [ It looks like the terminal is out of graphics mode, but (possibly) the ]
< [ character sets are screwed up.  That is, there is random garbage all ]
< [ over the workstation, but I can definitely distinguish texual ]
< [ patterns.  I am obviously back at my shell prompt, but it is ]
< [ impossible to tell exactly what text is on the screen. ]

I have seen this problem.  Your soft font is plane 2 is trash.

There is no documented way for software other than the Video BIOS
(like Xenix) to load the font back into the video card after graphics
mode.  Version 2.2 of SCO loaded the fonts from an offset of where
INT 0x41 points.   This has turned out to not be the best solution
for all people.  We corrected this in 2.3.

BTW: Some small vendors still ask us:
  "Why don't you just call the BIOS to load the font?".

In article <18182 at neabbs.UUCP> richard at neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) writes:
< I think I've seen this problem too:
< It's a 'feature' of the ANSI console drivers, and is invoked by
< <ESC>[12m.  It causes the high bit of every character to be flipped
< before display. That's why you can admire IBM's grahic characters and
< recognize textual patterns.
<
< You can switch back by typing: <ESC>[11m

The correct sequence is <ESC>[10m.  The sequence <ESC>[11m will
display the control characters less than ' '.  (ie: happyfaces
clubs, hearts, diamonds, spades, ...)

< Why on earth this is built in? I would't know!

ANSI defines "<ESC> [ 1 <num> m" to be switch to alternate font <num>.
These first (num='1', '2') are #1) easy to do,  #2) doesn't take up
a lot of memory like a _real_ font would,  #3) Implements the
termcap GS functionality (can't remember the terminfo name) and
#4) leaves room for 7 possible _real_ alternate fonts in the future.
--
Brian Chapman		uunet!sco!chapman	Xenix Kernel Development