XENIX System V Release 2.3

Ross Oliver rosso at sco.COM
Tue Aug 30 06:28:38 AEST 1988

In article <387 at eecea.eece.ksu.edu> terry at eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
>I called SCO today to try to get an update to 2.3.  They told me that
>it would not be available for at least another 6 weeks.  To quote
>Discover, "SCO XENIX System V Release 2.3 is available now for
>386-based AT-compatible systems."  SCO certainly has a strange idea of
>what "available now" means.

You can order, and receive, SCO XENIX release 2.3 right now.
However, what you asking for is an update. Our updates
contain special programs that allow you to move to a new
version of the operating system without re-installing everything.
The engineering work to generate these intelligent update tools
builds upon the finished baseline product. We try to make these
updates available within 30 days after shipping the baseline product,
although there have been cases recently where it has taken longer.
In these instances we truly apologize for any inconvenience.

>I, for one would like to see them be more realistic about ship dates.
>If a product is not going to be available for 6 months, I still would
>like to know about it, but don't tell me it is "available now."

Every attempt is made to be "on the money" with ship dates. We
work very hard to avoid vaporwars. However sometimes when you
work with publishing dates that precede critical engineering
dates you can get burned if the engineering schedule slips for
some reason.

>BTW, when I asked my sales rep about the Streams/TLI Library, he was
>not sure what I was talking about.

I apologize for an apparent understanding. The Streams product
will be handled in two different flavors; runtime and development.
The SCO Streams Runtime will be just the pieces necessary to run
streams based programs. The SCO Streams System will contain the
runtime and the toolkit necessary to build streams-based products.

| William (Bill) Brothers                The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc. |
| XENIX Product Manager                    400 Encinal St., PO Box 1900 |
| INTERNET: billbr at sco.com                         Santa Cruz, CA 95061 |
| TWX: 910-598-4510 SCO SACZ                             (408) 425-7222 |
| ARPA: billbr%sco.uucp at ucscc.ucsc.edu              FAX: (408) 458-4227 |
| UUCP/USENET: !{decvax!microsoft,amdcad,uunet}!sco!billbr              |