Bell Tech 386 SysVr3 (really a put-down of Xenix)

Ronald O. Christian ronc at cerebus.UUCP
Thu Aug 25 10:56:11 AEST 1988

In article <1585 at spdcc.COM> dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>When someone flames so strongly about a product and company as you have,
>presenting some evidence and more invective, when that is contrary to a lot
>of people's reported experience, it's worth wondering what's going on.
>What's your support experience been with SCO?  What were the applications
>you were running?  Situations differ, but this is quite anomalous.

It could be that you don't see a lot of traffic on problems with Xenix
because a lot of people struggling with Xenix don't have access to
Usenet because they can't get the gol-durned uucp to work.  When you're
effectively cut off from the rest of humanity, your voice is small and
thin indeed.

As for support, we called SCO today with a trivial question about
their uucp, and they scheduled an answer for next Tuesday.  The
question was, how do you send a string in your chat script with
a space in it?  (Like "foo bar".)  If you write

		foo\sbar

it sends

		foo\sbar

If you write

		foo\c "" bar

it sends

		foo\c

>From the documentation it appears to be impossible to either force
a whitespace (tab or space, I don't care) in a chat script string
or even send a string without a trailing carrage return.  This is
a usable Unix?

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!cerebus!ronc

      Calling all Fujitsu Usenet sites!  Contact cerebus!ronc or
      ronc at fai.com to establish uucp connection.