xenix and vpix, part 3

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Sun May 22 02:20:37 AEST 1988

In article <10910 at steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>   Having gotten vpix running, I still have a few problems. The first is
> the fonts. When the vpix kernel is booted it uses a normal EGA font.
> After running vpix (the program) I get an ugly san serif font instead.

Yeah, I've seen this too.  The EGA doesn't seem very "insulated" from
vpix's virtual windows when switching back.

>   I also get some weird changes on the virtual terminals. When logging
> off one, it switches to another, usually an active login or the
> /dev/console. I can live with this, but it's not right.

This is documented as a temporary "bug" (it ties into the mechanism vpix
uses upon exit or a subshell to switch from its DOS window back to the window
you ran vpix from.)  It claims to be fixed in a later release, which is
fine with me.

This is the definition of a "controlled release".  The utility of having
vpix seems worth a few glitches.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer at harvard.harvard.edu
dyer at spdcc.COM aka {ihnp4,harvard,husc6,linus,ima,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!dyer