Writing serial device drivers

William Davidsen davidsen at sungod.crd.ge.com
Thu Aug 3 04:50:22 AEST 1989

  I can't think of any reason for a program to bypass the queue and
access the printer directly, and would not do it myself. However, why
not just create a FIFO in /dev which the ill-behaved programs can open
and write? Then you can have a daemon which reads the FOFI and write to
the printer, adding delays as needed (perhaps with nap()).

  If the applications do really nasty stuff like play with baud rate and
parity, you can't use this trick. You also might try a pty, which allows
setting the baud rate, but I don't know what it does...
	bill davidsen		(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen