Writing serial device drivers

Brian Gillis gillisb at mist.CS.ORST.EDU
Wed Aug 2 16:44:54 AEST 1989

Hello Net-Fans,
I am faced with dealing with a serial device, acting as a printer,
that does not have the ability to send Xon/Xoff control to control
data flow.  A possible, and accomplished method, was to write a little
C program to control the speed in which data is sent to the device that
was not dependent on baud rate or device quirks.

The problem:
Various programs bypass the system spooler and write  directly to
the serial port.  Therefore, I am faced with the problem of getting
between the serial port and the various application programs. I can
define where to write, such as any /dev/*.

I am not sure if I must write a device driver, but I am not sure on
any other way to get around this problem.

If anyone has any useful ideas or code, please drop me a e-mail note!

Thank you,
Brian Gillis
gillisb at gsd.UUCP
hp-pcd!gsd!gillisb