Computone serial boards (was DigiComm)

Dave Fenske davef at lakesys.UUCP
Thu Aug 17 11:13:04 AEST 1989

In article <24E97939.7243 at ateng.com> chip at ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>Not this Xenix user.
>
>My company bundled (past tense) Computone Intelliport-6 boards with our
>Xenix-based systems.  Our field return rate on Intelliport-6's has been
>greater than 50%.  That's right:  More than half of them returned on their
>shields.

There are actually several good boards available and everyone seems to have
their own favorite.

In defense of Computone, I've sold roughly 10 of them in 1987.  At this time,
only ONE (1) board ever experienced any problems.  In that one case, there
were 2 dead channels on an eight port board.

Does that make the previous article incorrect?  No, I don't think so.  If you
consider that any given serial board might end up in one of over 100 different
computers, which run one of six different operating systems, and then  who
even can begin to guess at the myriad of different applications, not to mention
the different versions of the various operating systems........

Hopefully, you get the picture.  There are a lot of variables.  If you REALLY
want to be safe, forget the AT clones and buy a nice Altos or NCR Tower where
everything comes from the same source.

If you do want the clones and someone's serial card, ask around and see if you
can find someone else who's using the SAME board, with the SAME computer, with
the SAME operating system.