Multi-ports board (Smart vs Dumb)

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Wed Dec 13 03:26:39 AEST 1989

In article <8912120109.AA17762 at decwrl.dec.com> paine at fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

>I am still looking for good multi-ports board for modem type terminal
>(both dial-out and dial-in) only.   I have bad experience with Arnet
>SmartPorts and I have contact other Arnet owners to have same problem.
>I am running SCO Unix 3.2, Telebit T2500 and Hayes 2400.
>
>I believe that Smart board works best for serial cable connecting to
>terminal and modem type terminal works best with Dumb type serial board.
>Please correct me if I am wrong.

No!  Especially if you are going to be doing lots of high-speed I/O!

>I still don't know which board I should look for.   DIGIboard looks good
>but it is not in Seattle area.

Digiboard IS good.  One of the better ones.  They are not cheap, but are
worth it.

Specialix is a new one for us, but very promising.  The driver has a few
bugs in it, but nothing terrible that UUCP won't deal with.  They also have
pledged to solve the problems -- more than many other companies have said
they would do (or have actually done)!

>Thank you for your time.

No problem!

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]