Miniscribe drive - quick advice

John Boteler bote at csense.UUCP
Tue Jul 25 13:26:47 AEST 1989

>From article <4564 at tank.uchicago.edu>, by goer at sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz):
> I have a machine on order I intend to run Xenix on.  It
> will be coming with a 150 meg Miniscribe drive with a WD
> 1007 ESDI controller.  No problem with the controller.
> However, will that drive have too many cylinders to run
> properly and effectively under Xenix along with MS-DOS?

Actually there may be a problem with the controller, indirectly.

I have found that the only Western Digital controller that hasn't
given me some amount of grief is the WD1006VSR2 track buffered, etc.
ST-506 interface RLL controller. For all other needs I have found
the DTC line of controllers to be exemplary. The DTC firmware
does not flinch when you tell it your hard disk has more than
1024 cylinders and has provisions for attaching removable devices
3 and 4 on the rear apron of the card.

I am posting this article using a 386 system with a 1166 cylinder
Priam hard disk drive, partitioned into 33MB DOS  and the rest
for Xenix. I guess it is working. Note: this is an ST-506 interface,
but the DTC6280 utilizes ESDI.

If this helps, here is the output of my fdisk 'Display partition' option:

	| Partition   | Status   | Type    | Start    | End    | Size    |
	| 1           | Inactive | DOS     | 1        | 2519   | 2519    |
	| 2           | Active   | XENIX   | 2527     | 8154   | 5628    |

Hope this helps, you and others.

--
Bote
uunet!cyclops!csense!bote