hardware question for Xenix/386

Rich Waters rich at watjo.uucp
Wed Aug 1 10:33:35 AEST 1990

In <4285 at peora.ccur.com> tran at peora.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) writes:

>My PC has not materialize yet because I know Xenix/386 will not run on just
>any machine.  I appreciate if any of you can give me short answers on these
>question:

>   1. Xenix/386 work with which BIOS chip (Phoenix, Award, etc..)
>   2. Xenix/386 work with which hard disk (MFM, RLL, ESDI, etc..)
>   3. Xenix/386 work with which video     (mono, Hercule, CGA, EGA, VGA, etc..)

1. Xenix/386 will run on all Phoenix compatible bios's I have seen.  I
personally have run on machines with Phoenix,AMI,Award,nad DTK

2. Xenix/386 will run which the disks mentioned above.  I personally have used
it with ESDI and RLL.  The ESDI setup is a little bit involved, but it is well
documented.  There is also documentation for SCSI set-up, but I have not used
Xenix with a SCSI drive.

3. I have never had a problem running Xenix using Hercules, CGA, or EGA
(although the return from the ioctl to get the video type has changed in the
most recent version), but I am currently having problems with my VGA using
Xenix 2.3.2 (I think).  These problems did not occur before I upgraded my
system, but now I get vertical lines appearing after certain characters
(specifically 'n').  I am using the Orchid Pro-designer 16 bit VGA card.  I
haven't had a chance to investigate this problem so I can offer no help.