Foxbase - printing to a file

Geoff Scully gws at xenitec.on.ca
Thu May 10 09:25:18 AEST 1990

In article <396 at usource.SARASOTA.FL.US> jmp%sfs at usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (John Pearce) writes:
>Following is a query posted in CompuServe's FOXFORUM.  I am
>reposting it here for John Pearce <jmp%sfs at usource.SARASOTA.FL.US>.
>
>#: 11610 S3/FoxBASE+
>    06-May-90  19:37:49
>Sb: Report output to file ??
>Fm: John Pearce 75130,2716
>To: all
>
>I have been unsuccessful in persuading SCO Foxbase + (Xenix) to send
>report output to a file, rather than to the printer or screen. (Foxbase's
>own report writer will do so, but I am working with reports written
>outside Foxbase)
>
>In each case, as soon as the program tries to write to the disk, I receive
>the reply "unknown error message 508."  That message number is not one
>covered in the manual.
>
>The help screen says the proper way to do this is "set printer to
><filename>,"  followed by "set printer on," which is exactly what I am
>trying to do.
>
>Does anyone have any experience with this?
>
>John M. Pearce  (813) 955-2202

I got bit by this too, but it wasn't too hard to figure out that it
wanted an executable program. After all the default is lp. So I use

set printer to "cat >&filename"

Where filename is a character variable containing the name of the file to
create. Using this syntax it is also possible to append to existing
files.

			--g

---
Geoff Scully                    Support Services -- XeniTec Consulting Services
Internet: gws at xenitec.on.ca		   UUCP: ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!gws