Backing Up My Xenix Distribution Disks

Phil Hughes fyl at ssc.UUCP
Thu May 3 05:54:09 AEST 1990

In article <2479 at crash.cts.com>, jburnes at crash.cts.com (Jim Burnes) writes:
> I just got Xenix386 and would like to know the easiest way to backup my
> distribution diskettes.  I dont want to go through makeing a file system
> and then do recursive directory copies, if that what it entails.

After reading 4 or 5 answers that were amazingly complicated or assumed
you had something called DOS :-) I decided to make a suggestion - how
about dd?  It is what I always use.
Just dd from the floppy to a file on the hard disk and a second dd to make
the copy works ok or floppy to floppy to floppy if you have two drives.
To be more efficient I suggest you specify a blocking factor that is a
multiple of the track size.  For example, for a 15 sector/track disk,
something like:
    dd if=/dev/rfd096ds15 of=/tmp/caca bs=30b
would work fine.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385