About Amdahl's UTS

Herb Chong [DCS] herbie at watdcsu.UUCP
Mon Mar 4 06:15:21 AEST 1985

In article <72 at pbear.UUCP> peterb at pbear.UUCP writes:
>>Whoa, there, young fellah!  While Amdahl CPU's are 370 compatable,
>>they are AIR-cooled and are faster than 370's.
>>
>>We don't just make IBM-compatible mainframes.  We make them better.
>>
>>Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam
>
>	Uhh, last time I looked, IBM's "370 compatible mainframes" were
>	air cooled. This include all of the 43XX series.
>
>	Unless you want to tell me that IBM still produces 370 mainframes,
>	I would have to say that your arguement just doesn't hold air :-)

IBM's 1x5 and 1x8 series of machines were the last to be exclusively
air cooled.  all 30xx series machines are primarily water cooled with
the 3083 having the option of air or water cooling.  the 43xx series
are air cooled.  i ought to know, i've been a systems programmer on all
these machines (except the 1x5 series) and have had to poke at the
innards occasionally.  and i've also poked inside amdahl v6 and v8's too.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu at waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie at watdcs, herbie at watdcsu