PC UNIX/UNIX PC - which one do *you* like better?

BALDWIN mike at whuxl.UUCP
Thu Apr 24 04:19:38 AEST 1986

> In article <286 at maynard.UUCP> campbell at maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
> >...  Does Wendin supply a C compiler?  lint?  awk?  lex?  yacc?
> >grep?  sed?  bc?  dc?  nroff?  troff?  eqn?  tbl?  find?  uucp?  at?
> >crypt?  graph?  spline?  m4?  vi?  cal?  dd?  sh?  make?
> >
> >No, you say?  Then it is NOT UNIX!
>
> I agree, but by that definition, AT&T doesn't sell UNIX in its
> bare-bones package either ("sh" is about the only one that you
> can expect to find).  This unbundling is, I think, designed to
> make "UNIX" a viable base for running applications but doing
> nothing else.  However, MY applications are going to expect
> many of these utilities to be there, so it's a crock anyway.
> [D.Gwyn]

Which *optional* utilities do you expect to be there?
Maybe you should look more closely at how AT&T packages UNIX
these days.  The "bare-bones" System V Release 2.0 includes
these utilities:

	essential (kernel, sh, ls, basic commands)
	cartridge tape
	terminal information (curses/terminfo [new termcap])
	directory and file mgmt (ar, file, grep, cut/paste, pg)
	editing (vi)
	security admin (crypt, ed/vi -x)
	sysadm (simple admin)
	user env (env, cal, at, banner, units, shl)
	ipc (shared mem, msg queues, semaphores)
	basic networking (honeydanber uucp)
	help (help, locate, usage, glossary)
	terminal filters (300, 4014)
	line printer spooling (lp, enable, disable)
	performance measurement (prf)
	graphics (ged, tplot)
	spell

The reason they're split up is NOT to sell them separately;
it's to put them on a bunch of floppies!  Better to split
them up in logical groups than to put [a-c]* on floppy 1,
[d-e]* on 2, etc.

The packages that ARE unbundled are:

	C compiler (cc, awk, lex, yacc, ld, lint, make)
	F77 compiler (f77)
	BASIC
	Pascal
	SCCS (get, delta, admin)
	DWB (n/troff, eqn, tbl, pic, grap)
	IWB (teach)
	WWB (wwb, proof, diction, style)

To get approximately what was in V7, the only add-ons you need
are the C compiler, F77, and DWB.  I just got a 3B2/400 with one
add-on (C compiler) and it is a complete system.  (I don't do
text processing on it [yet]).
--
						Michael Baldwin
			(not the opinions of)	AT&T Bell Laboratories