Advanced Programmer's Guide to UNIX System V

Pete Holzmann pete at octopus.UUCP
Sun Feb 2 07:55:38 AEST 1986

In article <1210 at princeton.UUCP> lrr at princeton.UUCP (Larry Rogers) writes:
>The book ``The Advanced Programmer's Guide to UNIX System V'' by Rebecca
>Thomas, Lawrence Rogers (me), and Jean Yates has been available since early
>November and has currently sold around 4200 copies.  Because of the volume
>sold, the publisher, Osborne/McGraw-Hill is considering another printing.
>I would like to know a few things from those who read this news group:
>
>	1. Have you purchased or looked at the book and what are your
>	   impressions?

>Larry Rogers

I looked at the book very carefully before buying... and bought a different
one that I consider to be *much* better: ``Advanced UNIX Programming'', by
Marc J. Rochkind. The text is much easier to digest, explains everything
more clearly, and the examples do the job in much less space (it's about
one third the size of the above-mentioned book, yet covers all the topics
more clearly!)
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014