Info required on source code control packages

David Lumby dlumby at axion.bt.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 13:00:10 AEST 1989

My beloved VAXStation is being forced (against its will) to run Ultrix (yuck)
rather than its old favourite - VMS. I have a reasonable volume of both code
and documentation stored under DEC's code management system (CMS) and I am
trying to find a comparable delta storage system that runs under Ultrix.

The sort of features that I would (ideally) like to see in a delta storage
system are:

o Ability to extract old versions of deltas.

o Ability to group together a number of versions of individual files as a
  single logical unit (e.g. CLASSES under CMS) and to be able to extract all
  the files in the unit with minimal effort.

o Ability to have variants of the stored files.

o Ability to insert textual comments when any action is performed on the
  managed set of files.

I would be grateful for any information of individuals knowledge/experience
of delta storage systems under UNIX + some idea of cost and supplier.

P.S. I have taken a brief look at SCCS and wasn't over impressed.

| Who:    Dave Lumby                                             |
| Where:  RT3121, Room G44, SSTF, British Telecom Research Labs, |
|         Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, IP5 7RE, UK.                |
| Phone:  +44 473 642613                                         |
| E mail: dlumby at axion.bt.co.uk                                  |
| Quote:  "" <-- Waits for a period of inspiration               |