Question on 8mm tape drives

Admin root at tijc02.uucp
Thu Mar 30 12:14:50 AEST 1989

Our installation is currently looking into the use of 8mm tape drives, or
VHS drive systems for high capacity backups.  We are using a Vax cluster
system of 11/785's and 11/780's using HSC50 controller and running under
VMS, as well as a Vax 8600 running Unix V R 2 v 2.  We do have a Unibus on
the 8600.  We are interested in using the tape drive(s) for backups on
both of these systems.  We anticipate some problems in doing so, but we feel
that it is not an impossible task.  We would like to see some opinions on
different 8mm (or VHS) tape systems, and 'hear' from anyone operating a
system similar to the desired one briefly described above.  Interest in 8mm
systems is growing, so please post rather than email.  Thanks in advance!
------
Contact:  Calvin Hayden
UUCP:     mcnc!rti!tijc02!root