AMI Bios

archmage at merlin.ih.att.com archmage at merlin.ih.att.com
Fri Apr 5 05:41:38 AEST 1991

	I am trying to load Unix System V Release 4.0 2.1 on a 25mhz 386 with
AMI Bios. The system has a 330 meg ESDI drive and 8 meg of RAM (80ns). I have
been running Unix System V 3.2.2 and MS-DOS on this system for over a year
and a half without a hitch. Upon loading 4.0 2.1, however, I get the
delightful message "PANIC: vfs_mount: cannot mount root" and my system
procedes to dump 1952 pages and then tells me to "Reboot the system". I tried
ripping out the AMI Bios and installing Phoenix Bios to no avail. I even
pulled out the ESDI drive and board and put back in my old MFM controller
and drives. I tried turning off everything in the system bios (shadow ram,
video ram shadowing, etc, etc, etc) and it kept giving me the same message
everytime.

	BTW, I loaded the system on a 20mhz AT&T WGS system here, so I
*know* that the software is O.K., because it is running perfectly on the
WGS. The only difference between the WGS system and the AMI system is that
the WGS has 16meg and the AMI has 8meg of RAM.

	So, is there anyone out there who knows anything about this and
could be of assistance? How about memory requirements, do I need more than
8 meg? (If I do, then the people who developed this, ought to be put out
to pasture...) I've given up for now, so I'll await any answers I might
receive from anyone out here.......

Thanx in advance,

	Raist
	att!ihlpl!stg