Which UNIX pc kernel is better? 3.51 or 3.51a?

David Herron -- One of the vertebrae david at ms.uky.edu
Wed Jun 8 01:34:43 AEST 1988

In article <737 at rush.cts.com> bob at rush.cts.com (Bob "Rush" Ames) writes:
>In article <536 at sialis.mn.org>, rjg at sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>> NOTE:  These problems will _only_ occur if you are using the On Board
>> Modem for UUCP type stuff.  If you use a modem attached to any of the
>> serial ports rather than use the OBM, you'll never see this problem.
>> Also, these problems do not occur if you use the OBM for cu.
>No.  This is the second time I've read this on the net, so I'm speaking up.

>I'm running with 3.51 because whenever I move 3.51a to /unix I get
>about 2 panics a day.  I'm NOT USING the OBM.  I am using HDB, 2400 Baud
>external modem, system configured for ONE VOICE line.

>I have run 3.51 for about 3 months without a re-boot.  Whenever I
>try 3.51a I'm down within 8 hours.

Well, my experience is a little different from yours.  Once I fixdisk'd
to 3.51a I eventually started paniccing a couple of times a day like
you say happened to you.  So I started backing the changes out one at
a time starting with the kernal.  That didn't help so I put the new
one back in and backed out the uucico.  I've been running on the old
uucico since without a single panic.

I USE the OBM.  For dial-outs only.  I do have a combo card installed
and use it from time to time.  Me and my roomate both have computers
hooked to it as terminals, one Mac and one Amiga.

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david at ms.uky.edu>
<---- s.k.a.: David le casse\*'   {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david at UKMA.BITNET