WD2010 controller and >1024 cylinders

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Fri Jun 3 08:41:43 AEST 1988

In article <4912 at ihlpf.ATT.COM> gmark at ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:
|>In article <373 at icus.UUCP>, lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
|>> I've done the FIELD UPGRADE P5.1 to allow bigger disks [and before anyone
|>> even asks, I cannot give this out *sorry*] and I am shopping around for
|>> another hard disk (anyone have a suggestion...?!) and I wonder if I have
|>
|>I don't get this, Lenny.  If this is a FIELD UPGRADE, why can't it be
|>given out?  If it can't, why are you mentioning it?  Is it that we
|>can obtain this, but not details on how to do the procedure
|>ourselves?  Do you mean you developed this upgrade?  If it's
|>secret, why should we be bothered with this on the net?  Anyway,
|>fill me in, if I'm the only one who doesn't understand your
|>comment.  Thanks.

Well I'm not sure about the legalities on why the FIELD UPGRADE can't
be given out to a machine that is no longer in production, but from
what I can tell it has to do with AT&T doing servicing and warranties
on the machine.   Basically by doing the upgrade you are giving up your
right for AT&T doing *ANY* kind of support on your machine.   The second
reason on why I can't (or won't) give this upgrade out is because I cannot
afford the postage, copies, and handling fees.  I don't have the time to
photocopy and process it for everyone, and lastly I couldn't charge because
it would be unethical.

I never said I developed the upgrade.  It was something CT (Convergent
Technologies) developed for their Model S50 (aka. AT&T UNIX pc).  The
upgrade isn't secret, in fact it has been mentioned numerous times in
different articles from others, including someone from AT&T (Craig Votava-
cmv at ihlpm.ATT.COM).  If you are persistent enough, you can probably get
the upgrade from someone.  I just can't give it out to everyone who asks,
sorry :-(.

In short, my comment was to ask those who have completed the upgrade,
or have a good working knowledge of Hard Drives to recommend one.

Sorry for any confusion...

-Lenny

--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S