Removing the 'Death Star'

Steve Wampler sbw at naucse.UUCP
Fri Jun 24 02:55:13 AEST 1988

I think I have finally removed the last vestiges of AT&T from
my screen.  The easy ones were all the references on booting
(There may be one left, but that one doesn't bother me.)  The
last one was replacing the 'Death Star' working logo with my
own design.

Some background:

	The program ICONOCLAST from THE STORE!(tm) allows
UNIX version 3.0 users to redesign the working logo.  It
(unless it's been replaced) doesn't work for 3.5 and above,
because the location of the raster pattern for the logo
was moved into a loadable device driver, breaking the shell
scripts.

This describes how to repair the shell script produced by
ICONOCLAST to work with 3.5.  I suspect it will work with
3.51, 3.51a, etc, but cannot test it.

	(1) Get ICONOCLAST from THE STORE!(tm).  Note that
	    you must have the development set (specifically
 	    adb) to run ICONOCLAST.

	(2) Use ICONOCLAST to design a replacement.  I suspect
	    that you will have to be careful to NOT exceed the
	    current bounds of the logo.

	(3) Don't try the change the logo with ICONOCLAST (it
	    won't do it!), but rather select the option to
	    save the shell script (it gets saved into a file
	    'icon.script').

	(4) Exit ICONOCLAST and edit icon.script:

	   (a) On the line with 'adb', change the arguments
	       to adb to:

		adb -w /etc/lddrv/wind.o

	   (b) Globably replace all occurances of '/w' with
	       '?w'.  (You are editing the object file, not
	       the core file, so the addresses based off
	       of the symbol 'wbraster' are in the text file.

	   (c) Write out 'icon.script'

	(5) Execute the shell script icon.script.

	(6) Reboot the system.  (Sorry, I didn't try to figure
	    out how to change the logo on the fly...)

You should probably save the old version /etc/lddrv/wind.o off,
in case you make an error, or if this does strange things for you.
Naturally, you do this at your own risk - I'm just claiming that
it worked for me.

My thanks to whomever posted the hint about looking in /etc/lddrv/wind.o
for wbraster (long ago).
--
	Steve Wampler
	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}