UNIX PC 7300 diags questions

Rob Healey rhealey at ub.d.umn.edu
Mon Jun 27 12:16:19 AEST 1988

	Hi! I just bought one of those fire sale 7300's and I have a few
	questions I hope someone can answer.

	1) Does anyone have a list of all the commands available under the
	   "expert" mode of the diagnostics? i.e. type s4test at the
	   user menu prompt. I puttsed a little but since I didn't know
	   what I was doing I thought it best to back off.

	2) Does anyone know how to create multiple partitions for a drive?
	   The /dev directory seems to imply that one can have up to 16
	   partitions, do you have to invoke some magic from the above stated
	   expert mode of diags? My idea is this:

	   6 partitions:

	   0:    32 blocks for boot/loader
	   1:  5000 blocks for swap/paging
	   2:  3200 blocks for /tmp
	   3: 13000 blocks for /
	   4: 13000 blocks for /u
	   5:  4984 blocks for /usr/spool
	      ----- for a total of
	      39216 aka a 40M drive

	   The main reason I want to break things up is to reduce the
	   time to do backups. / and /u are the only ones that need
	   backing up and / is basically a read only partition so it
	   only has to be backed up once.

	3) For you fire sale "My battery is DEAD" people. When I first
	   powered up the 7300 my battery was dead too, it wouldn't
	   hold the time. Now, a week later, when my used 20M self
	   destructed and I had to put the 10M back in, B^(, the
	   battery held the time for 3 hours. ( Lunch time interfered
	   there, it only took 45 minutes to rip out the 20M)
	   Maybe the battery can partially recharge when the machine is
	   turned back on.

	   Any info would be greatly appreciated,

			-Rob Healey

			rhealey at ub.d.umn.edu