UNIX PC 7300 diags questions

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Tue Jun 28 15:51:26 AEST 1988

In article <364 at umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> rhealey at ub.d.umn.edu (Rob Healey) writes:

>	Hi! I just bought one of those fire sale 7300's and I have a few
>	questions I hope someone can answer.
>
>	1) Does anyone have a list of all the commands available under the
>	   "expert" mode of the diagnostics? i.e. type s4test at the
>	   user menu prompt. I puttsed a little but since I didn't know
>	   what I was doing I thought it best to back off.

The command you're looking for is "?", the help command. As for the
interactive device test (31), It is documented in the $350 tech ref.
But it doesn't even match up with that anymore, as you can test the floppy
but not the hard disk.

>	2) Does anyone know how to create multiple partitions for a drive?
>	   The /dev directory seems to imply that one can have up to 16
>	   partitions, do you have to invoke some magic from the above stated
>	   expert mode of diags? My idea is this:

You may want partitions now, but you won't want them later!

>	   hold the time. Now, a week later, when my used 20M self
>	   destructed and I had to put the 10M back in, B^(, the
>	   battery held the time for 3 hours. ( Lunch time interfered

I had a similar thing happen when I pulled my Combo card to call in about
the serial chip problem.

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; CP/M to MP/M, MS-DOS to OS/2
>	Hi! I just bought one of those fire sale 7300's and I have a few
>	questions I hope someone can answer.
>
>	1) Does anyone have a list of all the commands available under the
>	   "expert" mode of the diagnostics? i.e. type s4test at the
>	   user menu prompt. I puttsed a little but since I didn't know
>	   what I was doing I thought it best to back off.

The command you're looking for is "?", the help command. As for the
interactive device test (31), It is documented in the $350 tech ref.
But it doesn't even match up with that anymore, as you can test the floppy
but not the hard disk.

>	2) Does anyone know how to create multiple partitions for a drive?
>	   The /dev directory seems to imply that one can have up to 16
>	   partitions, do you have to invoke some magic from the above stated
>	   expert mode of diags? My idea is this:

You may want partitions now, but you won't want them later!

>	   hold the time. Now, a week later, when my used 20M self
>	   destructed and I had to put the 10M back in, B^(, the
>	   battery held the time for 3 hours. ( Lunch time interfered

I had a similar thing happen when I pulled my Combo card to call in about
the serial chip problem.

What is this mn.general group? Please list local groups last!

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; CP/M to MP/M, MS-DOS to OS/2