Endless bummer...

John Wilkes wilkes at mips.COM
Sat Aug 5 10:09:21 AEST 1989

In article <822 at bagend.UUCP> jan at bagend.UUCP (Jan Isley) writes:
>In article <1582 at mtunb.ATT.COM> jcm at mtunb.UUCP (John McMillan) writes:
>>In article <802 at bagend.UUCP> jan at bagend.UUCP (Jan Isley) writes:
>>>In article <9832 at csli.Stanford.EDU> crimmins at csli.stanford.edu (Mark Crimmins) writes:
>
>To summarize:

[summary, flame, and whining deleted]

I was going to send private e-mail to Jan, but against my better judgement
decided to flame him publicly.

Jan, your simple suggestion to fix Mark's problem is certainly useful,
however, I believe John's description of the problem was concise and also
useful.  You did not explain the nature of the problem at all, merely
offered a way to solve it.  John did not really offer a concrete solution,
but he did describe what is going on when you redirect the output of fsck
to the file system being checked.  He also suggested that he's made some
sort of "official" request within the bowels of ATT to have this
addressesed by those who maintain the sources.

Both commentaries have value.  What's your problem?  I did not infer that
John was saying your solution was incorrect in any way; did you?  Were your
feathers ruffled somehow?  Are you that thin-skinned?  You will not find
satori that way.

Your response sure sounded like a personal attack to me.  If you and John
have some personal history that has now flared up in public, please put it
back in a box or pick nits somewhere else.  This is not appropriate for the
unix-pc groups (not that I stake any claim to being a net.policeman.)

Jan, your manners are every bit as bad as John's (and mine aren't visibly
better, either.)

Take note that followups have been directed to alt.dev.null and that I will
post no more on your or John McMillan's personal problems.  I will respond
to private e-mail, however.

--
-wilkes

wilkes at mips.com   -OR-   {ames, decwrl, pyramid}!mips!wilkes