Wanted

Jan Isley jan at bagend.UUCP
Mon Aug 7 13:06:46 AEST 1989

In article <1292 at banzai.UUCP> john at banzai.UUCP (John Canning) writes:
>In article <804 at bagend.UUCP> jan at bagend.UUCP (Jan Isley) writes:
>>AT&T no longer provides warranty service for any 7300|Unix PC|3B1.
>Over the past two months, we've sold several 3B1 computers, which we
>purchased from our AT&T distributor in January.  Three of these
>machines have had hard drive & mother board problems.  We have had
>no trouble getting the machines serviced under their warranty.

I do not remember exactly when it started, but I we had customers
calling to say that their local AT&T service center had declined to
do offer warranty work on their system.  I think it was in March.
Through April and May, we had customers who did get warranty work and
customers who did not.  We had one customer who called AT&T about his
battery.  They replaced his motherboard, which quit working 2 days later.
When he called them back, AT&T tried to bill him for the work done a week
before, and refused to fix his motherboard, which was working fine before
they replaced it.

>If VARS or other authorized AT&T resellers are having trouble with
>the hotline and getting warranty service, AT&T provides what they
>call a Resellar Assist Line (I call it the idiot's hotline)
>800-231-7863.  This number is used to report bad techs or other
>AT&T employees who try to give you a run around.

Have not tried this number yet.  I will though, thanks.  I have talked
the the Unix PC product manager (now transfered) many times.  She told
me that warranty work was absolutely no longer supported.

>We recently received an updated statement on AT&T's warranty policies.
>They said that they will support a discontinued product's warranty from
>one year from when the machine is discontinued.

Anyone remember exactly when the Unix PC was officially discontinued?

This all reminds me of the signature line in some mail I got last week
from someone who worked at AT&T and could not get them to work on *her*
7300...  AT&T, the communications company, except internally of course.

Jan
---
jan at bagend | gatech!bagend!jan | h (404)434-1335 | w (404)425-5700
	Humankind cannot bear very much reality.   T. S. Eliot