Wanted

Ned Nowotny ned at pebbles.cad.mcc.com
Tue Aug 8 08:53:12 AEST 1989

In article <1590 at mtunb.ATT.COM> you write:
>In article <827 at bagend.UUCP> jan at bagend.UUCP (Jan Isley) writes:
>:
>>This all reminds me of the signature line in some mail I got last week
>>from someone who worked at AT&T and could not get them to work on *her*
>>7300...  AT&T, the communications company, except internally of course.
>
>As we receive AT&T INTERNAL SERVICE on our many-many 3B1's on an ongoing
>and prompt basis, the above comment should be reconsidered.  (For its
>sexist highlighting, alone!  MANY of our staff and 3B1 users are female.)

Excuse me, but I don't see anything sexist in saying that AT&T would not
work on her (highlighted or otherwise) 3b1.  It seems reasonable that the
sense of the comment is to say that AT&T is not even willing to work
on 3b1's *owned* by their own employees.  Whether the comment is true or
not, it is not sexist.  The owner of the computer is a woman and it is
her computer.

It is precisely this sort of knee-jerk feminism that keeps people shouting
slogans rather than discussing issues.  Language is easy enough to confuse
without laying a whole new set of supposed ulterior motives and intentions
on the user.  Next time, communicate, but don't pontificate.  (Ack!  Another
slogan.  It appears I am not without sin myself.  Oh, well...)

Ned Nowotny, MCC CAD Program, Box 200195, Austin, TX  78720  Ph: (512) 338-3715
ARPA: ned at mcc.com                   UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!ned