Wanted

was-John McMillan jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM
Fri Aug 11 09:11:17 AEST 1989

>>>This all reminds me of the signature line in some mail I got last week
>>>from someone who worked at AT&T and could not get them to work on *her*
>>>7300...  AT&T, the communications company, except internally of course.

It is interesting that the real issue she faced was: how do I upgrade
the unixpc at home from a 20 MB disk to a 40 MB or larger drive.
(Wellllll, interesting to ME, anyway -- which gives you a clue as to
how un-interesting my daze are/is.)

Having already blithered a reply her way, let's pursue this issue,
restricting ourselves to the SIMPLE LIFE:
		1/2 height disks
		access times < 40 ms
		w/ <= 8 heads and
		<= 1024 cyl.

Craig Votava's list is "nice" in that it references ones he's EXPERIENCED,
but what of ~$$, reliability, and any WARNINGS about excessive power demands
for a 7300 or problems fitting things into the 7300 case?  (Including
any problem fitting a 3.5" drive.)

Some candidates:
	40MB	CDC 94205-51
	40MB	CDC 94355-55	(discard 48 trax over 1024)
	40MB	CDC 94335-55	(discard 48 trax over 1024)
	40MB?	Hitachi DK521
	41MB	Itoh YD-3540
	40MB	uscience HH1050
	56MB	uscience HH1075
	40MB	Miniscribe 3053
	40MB	Miniscribe 3085	(discard 46 trax over 1024)
	40MB	Mitsubishi MR535
	38MB	NEC D5146H
	40MB	Priam ID45H
	40MB	Seagate ST251-1
		-- with apologies to those manufacturers whose available
			spec's didn't include height or cylinders.
			(Hey -- what HEIGHTS are those 3.5" teensie
			li'l things, anyway?  Are THEY standardised?)

Perhaps this is repetitious: perhaps I've just missed the price
	& reliability discussions during my off-planet excursions.

If anyone posts me E-mail, I'll summarize:  I suspect that few beyond
Craig, ICUS, Milton, and Thad have much to reply, but I'm interested
in anything (almost).

john mcmillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm -- Ahh the weekend approacheth, and the
				restraint-suits at the funny farm....