Want to duplicate my software source floppies

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Fri Dec 29 11:35:03 AEST 1989

The question has arisen about duplicating one's Foundation Set in particular,
and duplicating random floppies in general.

Any "good" double-sided, double-density 5-1/4" floppy is acceptable to the
system, but I'd recommend NOT getting the bargain-basement "white box" floppies
unless you like to convert your floppies to diving mask face plates ... i.e.
the oxide rubs off onto the heads in the floppy drive and you end up with a
transparent "sunglass" lens for your diving mask!  :-)

To determine the PRESENT formatting of an "unknown" floppy on the UNIXPC:

	$ iv -t /dev/rfp020

A general-purpose floppy copy shell script I use that has been distributed at
our Users' Group is enclosed.  Strip out everything above the "cut" line and
run thru /bin/sh per the instructions.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

-------------------- cut here --------------------
#	This is a shell archive.
#	Remove everything above and including the cut line.
#	Then run the rest of the file through sh.
#----cut here-----cut here-----cut here-----cut here----#
#!/bin/sh
# shar:    Shell Archiver
#	Run the following text with /bin/sh to create:
#	flopcp
# This archive created: Thu Dec 28 16:40:59 1989
echo shar: extracting flopcp
sed 's/^X//' << \SHAR_EOF > flopcp
X#=======================================================
X#	new floppy copy for both 320 and 400 KB disks
X#	S.Coffin  AT&T  5/13/87
XTFILE=/tmp/SS$$
Xtrap "/bin/rm -f $TFILE; exit 1" 1 2 3 15
X# copy the file in first
Xecho "Flexible Floppy Formatter and Copy...."
Xecho "Insert source disk and hit RETURN....\c"
Xread DUMMY
XSIZE=`dd if=/dev/rfp020 of=$TFILE ibs=5120 obs=5120 cbs=5120 2>&1 | sed 's/rec
ords [io][nu]t*//g'`
X# its an error if the input and output block count are not the same
Xset $SIZE
Xif [ $1 != $2 ] ; then
X	echo "Bad copy on input!  Goodbye...."
X	/bin/rm -f $TFILE
X	exit 1
Xfi
X# determine disk size from dd block count
XSIZE=`echo $1 | sed 's/+.*$//'`
Xif [ $SIZE = "80" ] ; then
X	echo "400 KB disk required..."
Xelse
X	echo "320 KB disk required..."
Xfi
X# let the user decide whether to format a disk for the copy
Xecho "Format the disk [yn] ? \c"
Xread ANSWER
Xif [ $ANSWER = "y" ] ; then
X	echo "Insert unformatted output disk and hit return....\c"
X	read DUMMY
X	if [ $SIZE = "80" ] ; then
X		echo "Formatting for 400 KB"
X		iv -i /dev/rfp020 /usr/lib/iv/FD10nl
X	else
X		echo "Formatting for 320 KB"
X		iv -i /dev/rfp020 /usr/lib/iv/FDnl
X	fi
Xelse
X	echo "Insert formatted output disk and hit return....\c"
X	read DUMMY
Xfi
X# now write the data back out....
XSIZE=`dd of=/dev/rfp020 if=$TFILE ibs=5120 obs=5120 cbs=5120 2>&1 | sed 's/rec
ords [io][nu]t*//g'`
X# and a last test for correctness
Xset $SIZE
Xif [ $2 != $2 ] ; then
X	echo "Bad copy to output floppy!  Goodbye..."
X	/bin/rm -f $TFILE
X	exit 1
Xelse
X	echo "Done...."
Xfi
X/bin/rm -f $TFILE
Xexit 0
SHAR_EOF
if test 1555 -ne "`wc -c flopcp`"
then
echo shar: error transmitting flopcp '(should have been 1555 characters)'
fi
#	End of shell archive
exit 0