Still need help with UNIX-PC disk

Gregg Orangio gorangio at pitstop.West.Sun.COM
Thu May 25 07:51:01 AEST 1989

No, no luck yet in getting the poor rascal to boot.  Thanks to everyone
suggesting that a good knock on the disk or prolonged power-on may
remedy the problem, but none of that worked.  It appears that
one of two things has happened: a) the boot blocks are munged, or b) the
disk heads won't move (the disk is spinning).

To try to prove "a)" i'd like to boot the system from floppy.  I've tried
using the "Floppy Boot Disk; ver 3.5 2 of 19" and "Floppy File System Diks;
ver 3.5 3 of 19", but it always fails attempting to access the hard disk
during the read of the "Floppy FIle System".  Does anybody know how to
boot ONLY with the floppies???

If I am able to boot on the floppies, does anybody know if I can then
access the hard disk?  Can I restore the boot blocks??

As for case "b)", I seem to remember reading here (comp.sys.att) that
someone had experienced problems with Seagate disks.  Does anyone remember?

On another note: Has anyone installed a Micropolis 1325 hard drive onto
(not into) a UNIx-pc?  I know it is an 8 head drive and I still have a
P3...P5 unit, but can I use it without hardware mods??  Can I use it
WITH hardware mods??

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Gregg Orangio
Sun Microsystems Inc.