HP DeskJet on 7300 parallel port

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Wed May 10 21:43:46 AEST 1989

At this very instant, I am typing on a Unix PC that has a deskjet
attached to the parallel port.  If you are having problems, two
things come to mind:

1.  Make sure that the parallel cable in use has all 36 leads
connected end-to-end.  You can get by with less than 36, but aside
from the extra ground leads, I forget the specific signals you can
omit.  Better safe than sorry.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to verify
the cable integrity with an ohm-meter anyway.  Make sure that the
calbe is firmly can correctly seated on the Unix PC end in
particular; it is easy to get the connector pushed only part way
on.

2.  Log in as install and re-do the printer installation.  It might
not be a bad idea to get rid of the original serial definition of
HPLaserJet.  The print programs shouldn't barf on having two
printers of the same class name, but you never know...  Don't try
to do the printer installation by hand unless you are very careful.
It is easy to subtly goof something up.  Several of the printer
control programs expect the user id invoking them to be lp.  Yuck.

Aside from that I can't think of anything other than a hardware
bug.  I get very trouble-free operation from my deskjet, including
the bitmap screen dumps.

Bill
wtm at impulse.UUCP