Update on my request for device driver info.

Mark Jeghers mark at motcsd.UUCP
Tue Nov 14 06:00:17 AEST 1989

Several people have responded to me indicating that they can send me
either sample code or printed information documenting kernel resources.
I still await the receipt of this information, but I thank those helpful
folks in advance for their willingness to be helpful.

Many others have requested forwarding of whatever information I find.
Due to the number of requests and the likelihood of  some information
being on paper and not a disk device, I am considering the possibility
of offering mailouts of the totality of the information I collect.  This
will depend on:

a) the amount and quality of the info I receive.
b) the legality (will AT&T care if I reprint pages from their
*discontinued* device driver manual, etc).
c) finding some time to organise the stuff.

Please do NOT send requests yet for this mailout idea!  Please wait
until the thing is firmed up and I know if I'll even be able to do it!

What you *can* send right now is the following:

a) any info that could be a valuable addition to a UNIX-pc device driver
how-to-do-it packet.  Especially good would be any document or
poop-sheet you have made yourself (as it would have fewer potential
copyright concerns attached to it.

b) sample device drivers in the public domain.  I am in the process of
getting the few that are archived at osu-cis.  Any others would be fine
too.

c) info on who I can talk to at AT&T to find out how much info out of a
*discontinued* AT&T device driver manual I can distribute to UNIX-pc
users (AT&T customers) - e.g. who can I talk to at AT&T to get some sort
of permission to share this information?  I can't imagine what objection
AT&T would have, UNIX-pc info going to UNIX-pc users with *no* source
code, the info coming from a book they don't even care to *sell* anymore...

ok, that's about the size of it.  hope to hear from some of you
(including *you*, AT&T... :-)
--
Mark Jeghers                408-578-9145 [h]              "It's over your head,
Motorola Computer Systems   408-864-2629 [w]                it's on every side,